Given we’re all at home basically all the time now, I decided a more hearty breakfast was called for. These tomato baked butter beans were the answer! The ingredients list is heavy on canned goods too, so you can make them even if you haven’t gotten fresh produce for a few days! Plus, they’re delicious!
I slightly tweaked a recipe I found at Olive Magazine
- Brown onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1tbs tomato paste
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp dried oregano
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins butter beans
- Flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic
- Heat some oil in an ovenproof pan and cook the onion and garlic until translucent, about 8-10 minutes
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine, then add the cinnamon and oregano and cook for 1 minute
- Add the tomatoes and 250ml of hot water
- Drain and rinse the beans then add to the pan with salt and pepper, stirring gently to combine
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until thickened and bubbling
- Top with crumbled feta and chopped fresh parsley to serve
That’s all there is to these delicious tomato baked butter beans! If you don’t have a pan that you can use both on your stovetop and oven that’s ok, just transfer into a new dish after combining all the ingredients. This dish is particularly excellent when served with some toasted bread to help sop up the sauce.
I also loved these tomato butter beans as a lunch option – they are pretty versatile! Plus they are packed with fibre and protein so they help try and ward off the between-meal snacking that is so easy to do when you’re home all the time!
If you want to make them vegan friendly then just leave off the feta, or use a nut-based alternative instead. Simple as that!