We were on salad duty for Christmas this year, which is always ok with me! We decided to make salads we hadn’t tried before which thankfully worked out very well – last week I shared the delicious nectarine, haloumi & pomegranate salad we made. Our other contribution was this fennel apple and cabbage slaw and it will likely be on high rotation this summer – fresh, crunchy and oh so delicious.
We slightly tweaked a recipe I found here
- 3 small fennel bulbs
- 3 green apples
- Half a lemon
- Half a small savoy cabbage
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley
- 2/3 cup mint
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup pecans
- Thinly slice the fennel and chop the apples into thin matchsticks
- Place in a bowl and squeeze over lemon juice, tossing to coat
- Shred the cabbage and add to the bowl, tossing to combine
- Very finely chop the parsley and mint
- Combine with the mayonnaise, season with salt and pepper and mix well
- Pour over the salad and toss to coat
- Dry toast the pecans then roughly chop and add to the salad
That’s all there is to this fennel apple and cabbage slaw! It’s so simple but so delicious – and ready in no time as well. I love a salad that doesn’t require a lot of prep, especially when you have a few things to prepare, and this definitely ticks that box. In fact, we shredded the cabbage and made the dressing the day before, and just sliced the fennel and apple before we put it all together. So good!
You could easily make this vegan or dairy-free by choosing an appropriate mayonnaise as well, making it so good for those functions that have a range of dietary requirements. It’s simultaneously tart, crunchy, herby and creamy which means it is perfect for BBQs and picnics all summer long – I highly recommend you give this fennel apple and cabbage slaw a try!
LindaJanuary 25, 2022 at 5:37 am (1 year ago)
I love the idea of adding the pecans to the slaw. Really takes it to the next level.Reply