To commiserate the end of our little break over the Christmas/New Year period, B and I decided to make the most of Melbourne finally turning on some sunshine and headed out for a picnic. I love everything about picnics – preparing the food, packing the picnic basket (probably because B bought me an awesome old fashioned basket for my birthday a few years back!), lying in the sunshine and of course, eating the food. I generally waaaay over cater, and this was no exception, but I prefer to have lots of different things to eat even if that means bringing a lot back home again!
I generally keep my picnic food heavy on the savoury items, with a few sweet treats to enjoy at the end. This time I made both my simple potato salad and roast cauliflower & chickpea salad, as well as some cheeses (mandatory at a picnic with B and I!), strawberries, chocolate & walnut cookies (recipe to come soon, I promise!) and these sundried tomato & feta tarts!
Anyway, on to the tarts!
- 3 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 100g feta
- 2tbs fresh basil
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Grease two six-hole muffin pans
- Cut puff pastry sheets into quarters and line the muffin pans
- Roughly chop the sundried tomatoes and basil and evenly distribute across the 12 pastry cases.
- Crumble the feta into the pastry cases
- In a bowl, combine the eggs and cream and whisk until well combined. Season with pepper
- Pour the egg mixture into the pastry cases
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is lightly browned and the eggs are set
- Enjoy warm or cold!
This is how happy picnics make us!
Are you a fan of a picnic as well? What’s a must-have in your picnic basket?