This eggplant kale tomato pasta is as simple as it is delicious! Packed with vegetables, all done in one pan and reheats well too. It’s an excellent an option to whip up on a Sunday afternoon and is vegan friendly too!
- 1 eggplant
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 tin cherry tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tsp dried basil
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1tbs balsamic vinegar
- 50ml red wine
- 2tbs tomato paste
- 2tsp brown sugar
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1 bunch kale
- Dice the eggplant into small cubes
- Heat some oil in a large pan and cook the eggplant with a little salt until golden on all sides, remove from the pan and set aside
- Meanwhile, dice the onion and mince the garlic
- Heat some more oil in the pan and cook the onion and garlic until translucent
- Dice the zucchini and add to the pan, stirring to combine and cook until the zucchini is softened
- Add the tins of tomatoes and half a can of water and the bay leaves and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the basil, oregano, balsamic vinegar, wine, tomato paste, sugar and chilli flakes and simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove the kale from its stems and roughly chop
- Take the bay leaves out of the sauce, then add the kale and eggplants and cook for 5 minutes, until thickened and the kale is wilted. Season to taste.
- Serve over pasta
There you have it, your eggplant kale tomato pasta! I love that it all takes place in one pan – limited cleanup is always a plus! I like to keep the veggies slightly chunky, but feel free to chop them nice and small if you prefer it that way. It will be delicious either way!
Not only does this eggplant kale tomato pasta reheat well, but it freezes well too. That makes it a great one to whip up a giant batch of to have on hand for a quick dinner whenever you need it. What a delicious option to pull out of the freezer! Personally I like serving this on thick noodles (which are my favourite most of the time!) but whatever your go to is will work!