I’ve been trying to mix up my breakfasts recently as it’s been too chilly for my normal smoothies. Quinoa porridge was on the menu for a few weeks, followed by some homemade baked beans and then I decided it was time to make a new variety of granola.
It might look unhealthy given its chocolately colour, but looks can be deceiving and this baby is nice and healthy thanks to the use of cacao powder and cacao nibs instead! It still has a chocolately flavour, although it’s nowhere near as sweet, and it makes for a delicious way to start the day!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup caramel buckinis
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Combine oats, coconut, almonds and salt in a bowl
- Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan then stir in honey, cacao powder and vanilla
- Pour over the oats mixture and stir to coat all the oats
- Pour into a lined tray and bake for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven and stir in the cacao nibs and caramel buckinis, then set aside to cool completely
Then the fun really begins – choosing how you eat it! I’ve been mainly having it with some greek yoghurt and banana for breakfast, but you can top it with any fruit you like, pop it on top of some ice cream for dessert of just nibble on a handful as a snack. It’s delicious no matter how you eat it!
What’s been on the menu for breakfast at your place recently? Fancy trying some chocolate granola?!