I love quesadillas as a quick and delicious lunch or dinner option. These kale sweet potato and black bean quesadillas are a particularly excellent example! They are healthy, easy and can be prepped in advance as well. Seriously, what more could you want from a dish!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2tsp paprika
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 bunch kale
- Can of black beans
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Peel and dice the sweet potato and place on a lined baking tray. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until starting to caramelise
- Meanwhile, dice the onion and mince the garlic
- Heat some oil in a pan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further two minutes
- Add the spices and cook for another minute
- Remove the kale from the stems and tear into pieces. Add to the pan and cook until wilted
- Put the kale mixture in a bowl and add the drained and rinsed black beans and the roasted sweet potato, mix to combine and season
- Spoon the mixture onto half of each tortilla then fold over and place on a lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden and the cheese is melted
I know that seems like a few steps, but believe me these kale sweet potato and black bean quesadillas are worth it! Plus, you can make up the mixture in advance, and then just make the quesadillas as you need them. That makes them perfect for Meatless Monday, as you can whip up the filling on a Sunday afternoon and then have the quickest dinner ever the next day!
You can of course cook your kale sweet potato and black bean quesadillas whichever way you prefer – in a pan, sandwich press, you name it. Personally I like the oven because I can do other things while they are cooking, plus they don’t need any extra oil.
I like to serve them with fresh avocado, coriander and chilli, and some hot sauce never goes astray either! If you leave the cheese off the top of these (or use a dairy-free version) then these are vegan friendly too. Perfect!