Even though we’ve finally had some respite in Melbourne from the crazy heat we’d experienced over summer, iced tea has remained a staple in my fridge. The citrus iced tea I shared a little while back has been on high rotation, but when I found myself with a rather ripe pomegranate in my fruit bowl I decided to mix things up and try a pomegranate based version instead! Even better, the mint came from my little balcony – it’s growing things already!
I kept this iced tea more on the tart side as I really like it that way, but feel free to add more sugar (or a liquid sweetener if you prefer) if you’d like a sweeter tea.
- 6 black teabags
- 5 cups boiling water
- 2tbs sugar
- Zest & juice of 2 lemons
- Large handful of mint
- Juice of 1 pomegranate
- Additional lemon slices and mint for serving
- Place tea bags in a large jug or bowl and add the boiling water. Stir in the sugar until dissolved
- Add the lemon zest and mint leaves and leave to sit for 5 minutes
- Remove the tea bags then strain the tea into a serving jug. Leave to cool slightly
- Add the juice from the lemons and pomegranate and taste for sweetness – adjust to suit your needs!
- Leave to chill in the fridge then serve with sliced lemon and mint leaves
I love the colour this goes thanks to the pomegranate juice! I’ve been stocking up on pomegranates at my local Turkish grocer so I can keep a supply of this in my fridge, so tart and delicious!
Are you an iced-tea fan? What flavour should I try next?