One of the most difficult times as a vegetarian is big family feasts like Christmas when the table is piled with sides and salads, but the main dish is usually meat – in times like this I turn to stuffed vegetables and these stuffed zucchini are my new favourite. If you haven’t tried stuffing a zucchini yet then you definitely should!
- 3 medium zucchini
- 150g mushrooms
- Large red capsicum
- Small brown onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2tbs dried oregano
- 2tbs dried basil
- 3tbs fresh parsley
- 1 1/4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (or parmesan cheese)
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Carefully halve the zucchini and cut out the flesh, leaving half a centimetre or so around the edges, and being careful not to cut through the skin. Place on a lined baking tray and set aside
- Dice the zucchini flesh as well as the mushrooms and capsicum
- Finely dice the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes
- Add the diced zucchini, mushroom and capsicum and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until softened
- Remove from the heat and mix through the dried herbs and diced parsley, panko and nutritional yeast
- Spoon into the zucchini boats, pressing down gently and bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden
Be careful not to overcook the stuffed zucchini as you don’t want it to get soggy or fall apart – remove from the oven when the zucchini boat is just cooked. If you prefer you can use parmesan cheese in the mixture but I prefer keeping them vegan friendly and using nutritional yeast instead. This has the added bonus of being packed with the vitamin B12 which is something I need to get more of in my diet, so it’s nutritional yeast on everything in my house at the moment!
If you are making these for a meal like Christmas then you can make the filling in advance and then just pop it all together and in the oven when it’s time to eat – saving time and kitchen space which are both always at a premium!
JayneOctober 26, 2016 at 2:10 pm (7 years ago)
What a gorgeous way to eat zucchini! great recipe and great picsReply
Jayne recently posted…MY NEW FREE eCOOKBOOK – WHAT CAN I BRING?
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)November 1, 2016 at 4:09 pm (7 years ago)
Doesn’t it make for a pretty dish! Who knew zucchini could be good looking!
Vicki @ Boiled Eggs & SoldiersOctober 26, 2016 at 8:18 pm (7 years ago)
Oh Yum. We do eat a lot of zucchini which is a bit boring but this makes it so much nicer. Thanks for sharing with YWF too.Reply
Vicki @ Boiled Eggs & Soldiers recently posted…Easy Halloween Ideas – a creep through Pinterest
I Spy Plum Pie (admin)November 1, 2016 at 4:10 pm (7 years ago)
I’m all about dressing up boring veggies!