The beauty of this salad is in its simplicity. It relies on the flavours of the fresh produce, brought together with a tangy lemon dressing. It looks much fancier than it really should given it takes mere minutes to pull together. I highly recommend it as a side at a BBQ, or as a quick and easy mid-week salad served with some protein of some kind (a poached egg works perfectly!). You can prepare it all ahead of time, just store the ribboned zucchini in a sealed container in the fridge and add the dressing when you are ready to serve. Easy as that!
As an aside, does anyone else think the word zucchini looks ridiculous? Maybe it’s because I have typed it a few times recently but now it just looks like it’s spelt wrong, even though it’s not! Just me? Right, moving on now!
- Juice of half to one lemon (depends how tangy you like it!)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp chilli flakes (to taste)
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 2 medium or 1 large zucchini
- Bunch of basil
- 1/2 cup bocconcini balls (small sized)
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. Stir in the chilli flakes, season with salt and pepper and set aside
- Dry roast the pistachios in a small pan until they start to brown, set aside to cool
- Make ribbons out of your zucchini – I use a wide peeler, but a V-slicer or a cheese slicer would work too
- Roughly tear the basil
- Put the zucchini ribbons in a bowl and toss through the basil, pistachios and bocconcini
- Pour over the dressing
How easy is that! Do you have a favourite salad recipe to take to BBQs and the like? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!