I was after a quick dinner option that still had some vegetable content and this broccoli lemon gnocchi tray bake was the answer. It’s seriously quick to cook, making it perfect for a mid-week meal. Plus, most importantly it’s super tasty as well!
I slightly tweaked at Hetty McKinnon recipe from ABC Everyday
- 2 medium heads broccoli
- 1kg dried gnocchi
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1tbs fennel seeds
- Pinch red chilli flakes
- 2 lemons
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 50g pecorino (or other vegetarian friendly hard cheese)
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Cut the broccoli into florets and the stem into chunks
- Separate the gnocchi and place in a bowl with the broccoli then add minced garlic, fennel seeds and chilli flakes
- Slice one of the lemons and add to the bowl then drizzle with a good glug of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat
- Place on two lined baking trays ensuring everything is in a single layer. Roast for 15-20 minutes until gnocchi is turning golden and broccoli is charring
- To serve, toss everything together then place in a serving dish and drizzle over more olive oil, juice of the second lemon, pecorino and fresh parsley
There you have it! This broccoli lemon gnocchi tray bake is seriously that easy – very little prep and then the oven does the hard work! The lemon juice and fennel seeds provide more flavour than you might imagine, and the charred lemon is particularly excellent. Don’t skimp on the cheese either, it will slightly melt on the hot tray bake and help create a bit more of a sauce – plus it’s delicious!
I love how simple tray bakes are as a dinner option – pretty good on the health front and excellent on the speed front. Plus, when it’s like this broccoli lemon gnocchi tray bake it’s also very tasty! I don’t eat a whole lot of pasta but this one has made it on to my meal plan a few times lately!