Mexican flavours have always been one of my absolute favourites, and it doesn’t hurt that they work well for make-ahead meals too. I was looking for something a bit healthier recently and this carrot walnut taco mince was the result. Not only is it seriously tasty, but it can be used in pretty much all your favourite Mexican dishes. So good!
I amended a recipe I found at Vegan Richa
- 1 brown onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium capsicum
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- Olive oil
- 2tbs tomato paste
- 2tbs soy sauce
- 1tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1/2tsp all spice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Juice of a lime
- Salt and pepper
- Grate the onion and mince the garlic and set aside
- Grate the carrots and dice the capsicum and set aside
- Process the walnuts until crumb like and set aside
- Heat some oil in a heavy pan and cook the onion and garlic for 4 minutes, until softened and translucent
- Add the carrots and capsicum and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the tomato paste, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, spices and lime and stir to coat
- Cook for 4 minutes then stir in walnuts and cook for another 2 minutes
- Taste and season with salt and pepper
- Remove from the heat and let sit for a minute or two before serving
That’s how simple this carrot walnut taco mince seriously is! Sure, it might not look exactly like mince meat, but it’s definitely got the Mexican flavours and the texture isn’t far off either! You can really serve this any way you see fit. I whipped up some light and fresh taco bowls for dinner with lots of fresh veggies, some grilled capsicum and plenty of avocado and jalapenos. I’ve also scooped it in to taco shells and it was delicious like that as well!
One of my favourite things about this carrot walnut taco mince is that it keeps really well. I whipped it up on a Sunday evening and then could have the leftovers in a variety of ways for a couple of dinners in a row. This is extra important to me when I’m super busy at work I need things I can whip up in no time, and leftovers are even better!
I have a feeling this carrot walnut taco mince will be on high rotation in my kitchen whenever I feel like Mexican food, which to be fair is a lot of the time!